http://hatchfest.com/ In all her infinite wisdom...: Max Baucus on Iraq

In all her infinite wisdom...

A Native Montanan's view on feminisim, politics and life in Montana.

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Max Baucus on Iraq

Dear MT Fem:

Thank you for contacting me in regard to the state of affairs in Iraq . I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

The Iraq war is a heavy burden for all Americans, especially Montanans. I have seen firsthand how the National Guard and Reserves in Montana have deployed in record numbers. Our troops are over extended with some serving their third and fourth tours in Iraq .

I believe the top priority is to support the men and women protecting our country, and I have tried to do so by giving our soldiers the proper equipment and the tools they need to stay safe and succeed. I have criticized spending on high tech weapons systems at the expense of boots on the ground. I voted in favor of every defense bill and war supplemental in order to give our troops essential equipment for their mission.

I will continue my support of our troops. In fact, I commend our troops. They have shown exemplary strength , and have done everything that we have asked from them. They removed the tyrant Saddam Hussein. They addressed the potential threat of weapons of mass destruction. They have done their job well , a nd their service has been outstanding.

However, I am very concerned about the deteriorating situation in Iraq . Our brave troops stand in the crossfire of a civil war. We have lost more than 3,000 troops in the escalating Iraq conflict. Many Montanans have lost their lives in Iraq , and the number of casualties occurring each day is increasing. Those men and women who have lost their lives have served a noble purpose. They have taught us lessons in courage , a nd we must honor that courage by finding a new direction.

It is time that we change course in the war. I want to see an end to it , and I want to see our combat troops come home.

We must not escalate the conflict by throwing more American soldiers into an Iraqi civil war. We must train Iraqi Security Forces to take on more responsibility , and to stand up for themselves. We must also engage Iraqi's and their neighbors to work toward peaceful solutions through diplomacy.

It is time for America to change course. It is time for a renewed political effort to bring factions in Iraq together , a nd it is time to bring the combat troops home.

Thanks again for getting in touch. Please feel free to contact me in the future with any additional questions or concerns.

With best personal regards, I am Senator Max Baucus

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home